Monday, July 22, 2013

Have a little patience!


I woke up Saturday morning with a little extra excitement - I was going to be a part of something new, something that had never happened before - #edcampHOME.  I follow +Karl Lindgren-Streicher  (and +David Theriault (on Twitter, so when I saw they were planning an edcamp that you could participate in from your house - I wanted to be a part of it!

Over the course of a few weeks Karl and David introduced me to +Kelly Kermode  () and +Shawn White () - the other creators of #edcampHOME - and between these four awesome educators I felt more at ease and ready to help out!  I was impressed by the courage the #edcampHOME creators had in trying something brand new - with the world watching - not knowing for sure what would happen!

My biggest take away from the event was the patience everyone had during the day.  There were technical difficulties, a flood of Google Doc editors on one document, trying to get moderators to be in a session they wanted and even the "issue" of having eager non-registered' teachers who wanted to join!  Patience was a key to the success.  During the morning I was reminded once again of the power of a Twitter (and now Google+) PLN.  I was  It seems like everyday I "meet" someone who I wish I was more like...or wish I could do what they are doing - Twitter really is full of these amazing people!

I just hope that I can remember this when school starts back up in a few weeks.  Patience is the key!  We have three days to prep this year and I am someone who needs all three of those days - I usually end up talking to people more than prepping so I need all the time I can get :)  I will arrive at school and some things will be moved, missing, lost or stolen - and I'll have to be patient while I figure out how to fix/replace them.  I may be asked by some teachers to help set up their room or for an extra copy of this or that - I just need to remember to keep my patience.  When Friday at 3pm rolls around and I am not ready for Monday with students walking in the door - I will need to keep my patience (but also get my stuff ready fast!).

So while many have great apps or processes they learned about during #edcampHOME...and so did I - don't get me wrong.  But the thing that I was most amazed by and the thing I was most proud of during the event was the patience shown by all involved!

So my BIGGEST take away is that there is no reason to stress - just keep calm and have a little patience!

If you missed this event, all of the GHO's were recorded and posted to YouTube.  Check the Session 1 and 2 Links at #edcampHOME

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan, I can't take any credit for organizing #EdcampHOME. Kelly Kermode is @coachk.

    Saturday was an amazing learning day! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this, Ryan. Patience is such a big thing with new concepts, and this seemed to be one of those occasions. However, it sounds like it was pretty impressive with so many people willing to chime in!

    ReplyDelete