Thursday, January 8, 2015

One word to inspire in 2015


I am part of a Voxer group that started talking about starting a blogging challenge for 2015.  I told myself that I didn't have time to commit to a blog a week for the entire year.  I justified this thought by thinking through my weeks in 2014 and knowing I did not have time to blog then...so how would I have time now?  But then I started seeing a few of my Twitter friends posting their #YourEduStory blogs.  I read a few and I got motivated to blog myself.  This week's topic is to come up with one word that inspire you in 2015 - and my word is Change.

https://flic.kr/p/8SS7EJ
Three years ago I was teaching physical science in middle school.  Two years ago I was teaching chemistry in high school.  Last year I was a teacher on special assignment in the technology department at the district office.  This year I am an EdTech Coordinator working with Chromebooks, Gmail, SBAC testing and hoping to help our district move to BYOD.  I recently applied for another position within our district and hopefully I may have another position next year!

save imagesave image

I have joked in the past that I am adverse to change, but in reality I thrive on it.  I love learning new things, working with different people and problem solving through issues that arise at work or home.  Sure, it is nice for some things to stay the same - but change is also needed to keep moving forward.  I have realized that I make mistakes and I make changes each day so that I don't make the same mistakes.  Each day I make little changes to make myself a better person.  Since I work in the area of technology now, if I don't keep moving forward and changing then I am falling way too far behind!

So I like the idea of jumping in to 2015 with a challenge!  I have a great group of people to lean on for support if needed...and those same people will help keep me moving forward this year.

5 comments:

  1. I think you might have chosen the wrong C word. Maybe "Challenge" better suits you. It seems over the past four years you have embarked on different challenges and have clearly been thriving in these types of environments. In today's education world, we need people who are willing to challenge themselves every day to change school for the better. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Marc! I should "change" my word to challenge!

      Delete
  2. Change is a great word! I agree, with every change comes challenge, but also inspiration and motivation. In my experience nothing is perfect and even if it's pretty close, other elements will come into play and what was good in one circumstance no longer is.
    Like you, I've been in a few different roles in different workplaces over the past couple of years. Prior to that I was 20 years at the same school (although in an ever-changing role). Sometimes making a big change can be very scary but ultimately I've found them to be very worthwhile.
    Good luck with all your changes and challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with your #oneword thoughts on "change." Change is a word that we as educators seem to have difficulty with at times, but it is definitely essential in our field, especially when integrating technology. I think one thing we have a tendency to look past as educators is that our kids are constantly changing year after year, and that makes it even more important to modify and adjust the way we do things. Well written blog Ryan.

    p.s. Bonus points for including a definition for your one word, because I did the same. Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Change is the only thing that remains constant.

    ReplyDelete